"Blackjack" Blade Vortex Archmage IndiScion - 6.5K+ Life, 3 mil Shaper DPS on a budget!

Hello everyone! My name is ShadeofSpace, and this is my first attempt at a build guide for something I've been playing and evolving the past few leagues!

This iteration of the build is named after Blackjack, where you attempt to get as close to 21 as possible with your cards without going over.
It uses Indigon to turn a very specific amount of mana spent into DPS and increased mana cost of spells, and then uses Archmage Support to send our DPS into low orbit, as well as sustain Righteous Fire for nearly nothing. In addition to boasting fairly decent defences and defensive layers (it even has a shield for a free 24% block chance pog), it regenerates a large amount of both mana and health per second thanks to Indigon’s "Non-Instant Mana Recovery from Flasks is also Recovered as Life" modifier and an Enduring Divine Flask. We take the Pathfinder Ascendancy to help sustain our flasks even in bossfights, and the Hierophant Ascendancy to provide even more base mana, as well as better utilize that mana defensively. Unlike pre-Archmage Indigon builds, we aren’t trying to dump our mana bar as fast as humanly possible, so this build will hopefully save some suffering Carpal Tunnelers out there. This build also has a large advantage over many other Archmage-Indigon Builds because of its ‘fire-and-forget’ playstyle; a single casting of Blade Vortex instantly maximises our DPS for the next 4 seconds, leaving us free to focus on avoiding enemy attacks and contemplating the meaning of life.
3.11 Changes, RIP Archmage? Nope.

With the changes to brands and the Archmage support gem in 3.11, our build is hit obscenely hard with the nerf hammer; we lose ~20% of our damage.
Oh, that was it.
While I would never recommend an Indigon build as leaguestart, this build should still be powerful enough to take on most if not all endgame content, and will be the only Archmage Indigon build strong enough to do so (since the change to Brand Recall kills using Indigon on the Brand version of this build).
If you decide to roll this, enjoy!

Archmage Indigon Interaction

Big Explanation

Archmage support turns varying amounts of a spell’s mana cost (from 70% at gem level 1 to 127% at gem level 20) into flat added lightning damage for the equipped spell. It also turns our spell’s base mana cost into 6% of our maximum mana (if it isn’t already higher). This simplifies things greatly, because in order to get the most damage out of our mana bar possible, we need to have a spell that costs 99.9999...% of our mana bar. We can’t increase the cost past 100% of our mana bar; if we do, Archmage Support no longer adds ANY damage. I chose Blade Vortex for reasons I’ll go into later, but it technically doesn’t matter what you choose since its mana cost gets overridden by Archmage support.

Blade Vortex, supported with specifically Archmage Support, Increased Duration Support, Concentrated Effect Support, Elemental Focus Support, and Unleash Support, has a 3.5672x mana cost multiplier from support gems, meaning it costs 21.4032% of our mana whenever we cast it. This, however, is the limit on conceivably useful mana cost mulitpliers on our Blade Vortex, and so we rely on Indigon to scale the rest of our mana cost.

If our maximum unreserved mana is between 5607 mana and 6541 mana (rounded for posterity), when we cast Blade Vortex once, it will spend 21.4032% of that, or between 1200 and 1399 mana. When this happens, Indigon triggers its “50-60% increased Mana Cost of Skills per 200 mana you’ve spent recently” 6 times, as well as the spell damage modifier. If we have a 60% increased mana cost Indigon, this one cast increases our Blade Vortex’s mana cost to 98.45472% of our mana pool, maximising Archmage Support’s added damage. If we have less than 5607 mana, Indigon doesn’t increase our mana cost by as much, and if we have more than 6541 mana, Indigon increases our mana cost to more than our maximum mana bar, and Archmage Support starts pouting. Luckily for us, we don’t actually have to cast it at this massively increased mana cost; Archmage Support’s added damage applies to already casted Blade Vortexes (Vortices?), so we only have to cast Blade Vortex once every 4 seconds (and try not to spend any more mana on anything else, or we lose almost all our damage).

We do run into a problem here; Blade Vortex’s damage scales largely off the number of blades you’ve casted into being around you at any given time, and we only get to cast Blade Vortex once every 4 seconds. By using Unleash Support (since unleash-duplicated casts of Blade Vortex don’t deal any less damage despite the gem indicating they might), as well as the Thunderous Salvos anointment on our amulet, and a heaping-helping of increased skill-effect duration from Increased Duration Support and the passive tree, we can gain 5 stacks of Blade Vortex every time we cast the spell if our Unleash Support is fully charged, and have a 12.7 second duration, meaning we have enough time to cast a total of 15 Blade Vortexes before any start falling off. This is similar in principle to what a Storm Brand version of this build might try to achieve, except for that we can press Vaal Blade Vortex and just get an extra Blade Vortex for free, which lasts for 7.52 seconds and deals over 2 million DPS while our mana costs are ramped up.

TL;DR

We scale our mana cost with Indigon and Gem Supports alone. We can cast 5 stacks of BV every 4 seconds with the Thunderous Salvos Anointment, and they last for over 12 seconds, meaning we have max BV stacks. During that time we're getting the best efficiency use of our mana bar possible. Don't cast Blade Vortex again too quickly, or you'll discharge your whole mana bar and lose a lot of damage.

Gear

You’re gonna need mana. Oh boy. A LOT of mana.
Our passive tree is giving us around 300% increased maximum mana, so added flat mana and %max mana are pretty much equally as good at this point. Remember, the sweet spot is between 5606 mana and 6541 mana; any less or more, and most of this build goes out the window. This puts me in the unfortunate position (based on the amount of ranges of mana one could acquire from even the unique gear in this build) of simply telling you where I think it’s best to pick it up: your final gearlist could look radically different to any other player using this build, and while it’s a large challenge, I also think it’s a fun part of making this build work. However, I reckon (though haven’t tested) that with my passive tree and jewels, just the added maximum mana craft on all your rare gear might be enough to get there on its own!
Weapon

The majority of our damage comes from a ridiculous amount of flat lightning damage that Archmage Support adds. This means we want to scale it with X% increased Lightning Damage or X% increased Spell Damage mods, as well as securing a healthy amount of Mana. You may also want to put the “Trigger Socketed Spells when you use a Skill” mod from Betrayal here, as this is a way to cast buff spells without spending mana on them, and its cooldown is 4 seconds (so it’ll trigger pretty much every time you use Blade Vortex if you’re doing it right). Crusader Wands can also get lightning penetration and Conductivity on hit, which can change up some of our other gem slots.
Offhand

I like shields. Some people might like wands. Ultimately, it doesn’t matter too much; just prioritize Life, Mana and Resists/Dodge on shields or X% increased Damage mods and Mana on wands again.
Helmet

You’re gonna have a lot of options here. Most of them start with ‘I’ and end with ‘ndigon’.
Try to get one with as high an X% Increased Maximum Mana roll and X% Increased Mana Cost of spells per 200 mana spent recently; the former is just less mana you’ll need to find elsewhere, and the later dramatically increases your mana costs to get even more damage per point of mana.
Body Armour

The Pathfinder version of this build used a special Shaper Assassin’s Garb for maximal mana, but honestly, Carcass Jack is just the way to go here. AoE and AoE damage is great, Life and Resistance is great, it’s relatively cheap to get 6L, and it even comes with an MTX. Now that’s value.
Gloves

Sadly, it’s REALLY hard to find any glove mods we like. If you’re coked out of your mind, you could use the Thunderstruck mod on Cluster Jewels and Empire’s Grasp to become a living vacuum cleaner, and if you even so much as think about using Doedre’s Malevolence or Voidbringers I’ll kill you myself, but the best option here is usually Slink Gloves with decent defensive mods like Life and Resists, and to craft on +X to Maximum Mana after you’re done. You could also use a pair of Fingerless Silk Gloves for more damage, but since we have Righteous Fire and no ES regen, you get very little defensively in return. As Extra for Experts, try hit a “X% Chance to Unnerve on Hit”, which amps our spell damage vs. a target by 10%, as an ilvl 85+ Hunter Mod on gloves.
Boots

Omeyocans are a bit pricy, but worth every chaos; they give us solid movespeed and mana, as well as a staggering 20% attack and spell dodge for free thanks to our maximum mana. With our mana flask, we hardly notice losing 7% of our mana bar per second, and Onslaught to reduce how long you’re standing still while casting never hurts.
Amulet

I don’t even know what a foible is, but Atziri has one, and I want it. Remember to anoint Thunderous Salvos so that your Blade Vortex doesn’t lose like 20% of its damage, and if you had to choose a piece of gear, this is where you’d slam any Fertile Catalysts you have (mirror-tier rings permitting).
Rings

Thank god for Cerulean Rings, or I might seriously consider running Paua Rings here. Mod for Life, Mana, Lightning Damage and Resists, and if you’re rich (or lucky), try slam Spell Damage if you get Shaper-influenced versions. You can also replace one of them with an Unset Ring with +3 to Level of Socketed Gems to increase the power of our Vaal Righteous Fire.
Belt

I’m pretty sure a Shaper or Redeemer Leather Belt is BiS here because of the Maximum Mana and Mana Recovery mods, but if you’re rich enough to have a Shaper Stygian Vise you wouldn’t mind rolling the stupidest mods imaginable on, it’s probably better. You can also craft on Flask Effect here, but don’t craft on the Reduced Charges Gained hybrid mod no matter what delicious promises it makes.
Flasks

A Divine Mana Flask, despite not being the best flask, has the highest mana gained per second, and so it’s our best bet. We have Indigon, so our Mana Flask is also our Life Flask, which frees up a slot for The Wise Oak, which even if you can’t balance your resists perfectly (like all things should be) still gives us roughly 21% Lightning Penetration with a good roll, as well as reduces another type of incoming elemental damage. Between our other flasks, we can largely take whatever, as long as we’ve got an Alchemist’s Quartz Flask in there for extra Dodge and Spell Dodge, Immunity to Curses, Bleeding, Freeze & Chill, and preferably some decent movement speed in there too. 26% Quality the mana flask and Wise Oak first if you get the Hillock Research reward.
Jewels

Ah yes, Cluster Jewels. We have about enough points to hit one of them on the tree, at the top-left section above Minion Instability and Avatar of Fire.
Our Large Cluster Jewel should probably be a Lightning Damage one. Scintillating Idea is amazing, giving us Lightning Penetration and Mana, and Storm Drinker ain’t too shabby either for extra Pen. We’re gonna want two jewel sockets, because our medium cluster jewels are where it gets good (but not good enough to warrant using Voices).
Our Medium Cluster Jewels get to be Flask Duration jewels, because I love them. Distilled Perfection keeps our flasks going for longer and increases the mana (and therefore life) we get from them, but best of all, Liquid Inspiration gives us a huge amount of Mana, Mana Recovery from flasks, and generic Mana Recovery Rate while using flasks.
And thanks to Small Cluster Jewels of Mana, we get to take Liquid Inspiration 4 times. Delicious. Try get life if you can on the small jewel, but otherwise it doesn’t matter too much. Try get jewels with as few added passives as possible, since we’re really just here for the Notable Passives, and added small passives will get in our way.
We also run a Timeless Jewel: Militant Faith, with X Number of New Faithful Converted by High Templar Venarius. We put this is the first jewel socket to the top left of Scion, where it turns Elemental Equilibrium into The Agnostic for a ludicrous amount of free Health Regen (1000-1200 Health per Second), and also hopefully gets us some nice stats from the other implicit modifiers on it and the amount of passives we’ve taken in that area. Try not to have it turn our notable passives nearby into anything else; we need those, and we don’t have enough Devotion to use any other Notable Passive it could replace them with.
We can finally use Intuitive Leap to save a few points and grab Dreamer for a huge mana boost, as well as Overcharged because I like the pretty colors having charges gives me. Melding is 6% Maximum Life, so might as well take it while we’re here.
Our spare Jewel Slots usually get more Maximum Mana out of regular jewels and more damage out of abyssal jewels, so if you’re already in the sweet spot for mana stack those Abyss Jewels as deep as they’ll go.
I’ll add a section later that suggests some ways to incorporate Fevered Mind into this build.
Passive Tree

As a quick note, since the majority of this build’s damage comes from a late-game support gem, a level 69 (nice) required item, and a ludicrous amount of mana, I wouldn’t level as this build; instead transition to it from any other scion build (though a spell build that moves into the Witch tree probably costs the least Orbs of Regret.
Particular Notes:
- Elemental Overload is a cheap way to get 40% more damage out of a small amount of critical-chance at a high hit-rate. Don’t prioritize Critical Strike Multiplier on any gear because of this.
- You probably don’t need as much Strength as my passive tree has. I just like life.
- Remember you always have the option to use the Pure Talent Jewel and pick up the Damage and Mana node from the Templar starting point when we get the Path of the Templar ascendancy, because that node’s pretty decent (and easy to miss). That gives +25 all Attributes and +5% ele pen, useful stats indeed.

Example Gear

Skill Links

Vaal Blade Vortex – Archmage – Concentrated Effect – Unleash – Increased Duration – Elemental Focus
While this gem setup doesn’t give us the highest damage at first glance, it drives our mana cost to a specific amount for the maximum mana of this build. It also provides significant utility in minimizing the number of casts required to maintain maximum Blade Vortex stacks. You could use Awakened Unleash, but it only increases the damage through its slightly higher Quality stat of increased spell damage; Unleash Support’s “Supported Skills deal X% less Damage when Reoccurring” doesn’t affect Blade Vortex, and we have an artificial cooldown time of 4 seconds that is far in excess of the time it takes for Seals to recharge. Blade Vortex’s base damage itself only provides 3% of our final damage, so a 20/20 Vaal Blade Vortex was is more than sufficient for our needs. Keep a gem-swap Increased Area of Effect support on you, because it has the same Mana Cost Multiplier as Concentrated Effect Support, allowing us to seamlessly switch between better AoE for clear and more damage.
Wave of Conviction – Curse on Hit Support – Conductivity – Inspiration Support/Blood Magic Support
This is our best support spell, shredding a maximum of 70% elemental resistance towards Lightning Damage, and still providing a significant damage increase versus curse and debuff resistant bosses like the Shaper. Depending on your final mana cost of your Blade Vortex you can use Inspiration Support to make sure you never spend more than 1399 mana every 4 seconds, or Blood Magic Support so you can spam to your heart’s content (at some risk of doing your enemy’s work for them).
Vaal Righteous Fire – (Empower Support)
Righteous Fire grants us a significant more multiplier to our damage at the cost of health (and mana thanks to MoM and The Agnostic) per second. With our decent fire resistance, potentially the reduction from The Wise Oak, and our Mana Flask’s disgustingly large regeneration effect, we can happily sacrifice a small portion of our regeneration to nearly double our DPS with Vaal Righteous Fire and its less-blood-soaked cousin. You can use Empower Support if you have L O A D S A M O N E Y, and don’t decide to roll an unset ring to slot Vaal RF into, or you can skip both (because it's just 1-2% more spell damage).
Precision, Clarity
Precision and Clarity are here because they allow the use of specific Watcher's Eye mods we really benefit from, like Increased Mana Recovery Rate while Affected by Clarity and 1 Flask Charge Gained on Critical Strike while Affected by Precision. They also allow us to precisely tune our max mana, since they reserve a flat amount of mana instead of a % amount. Don't use them at any level above level 1 unless you achieve a maximum mana that would otherwise break the build (over 6541 maximum unreserved mana).There's likely some shenanigan in here you could pull with Vaal Clarity and dumping a huge amount of free spells during the duration, but for the life of me I can't think why.
Tempest Shield - Blood Magic
We don't have Acrobatics, so any block percentage is more and better defensive layering. Blood magic makes it so we don't accidentally break our build by casting it at an inopportune time, and our good duration from the passive tree ensures we don't have to cast it often, so it's no skin off our back.
Cast When Damage Taken – Steelskin – Summon Chaos Golem
A simple defensive trigger will save our asses more times than you can count. Try to aim for Level 11 CWDT and level 16 Steelskin, which just feels the best, since often times once you’ve triggered a level 20 CWDT you’re already dead. You can also use Steelskin and Second Wind, if you prefer to use your guard skills yourself, but this will take a lot more expertise and attention (but prevent a much higher amount of damage). If you self-cast, you shouldn’t have to worry about spending too much mana, but even still you may want to consider using Blood Magic Support as well (with all the hilarious implications of spending health to cast guard skills). This can also trigger a level 13 Chaos Golem, who helps with incoming physical damage a bit. He’s nice.
Shield Charge – Blood Magic Support – Fortify Support – (Culling Strike Support or Faster Attack Support)
Of course, a movement ability of some kind is really good, and Shield Charge is one of the best ways to get fortify on a ranged character! You can use Faster Attacks Support for even more speed, or you can use Culling Strike for finishing off bosses, but remember to socket Blood Magic Support or you will cry when you accidently spend too much mana during a big fight and lose 4 seconds of DPS.

Playstyle and Closing Notes-
The playstyle for this build is pretty simple.
Step 1: Cast Blade Vortex, massively increasing the spell’s mana cost
Step 2: Move into enemies
Step 3: Repeat from Step 1 every 4 seconds, once your mana cost for Blade Vortex returns to normal
However, there’s no visual indication in game to mark when ‘Recently’ elapses, so you’ll have to either count to 4 (and fairly accurately, because casting a full mana-cost Blade Vortex completely drains your mana bar, tanks your damage, and probably gets you killed), or use a program like Lutbot’s AutoHotkey Macro to track the ‘cooldown’. Note that this isn’t a disallowed macro because it doesn’t do anything server side; it just gives you a visual indication of how long 4 seconds is from when you last pressed the key that casts Blade Vortex. As much as I hate to recommend a build that benefits from using an external program for timing, really there should be an indication in game to track how much mana you’ve spent with Indigon active, so if enough people play this build and complain about it, it might get added!
You could also find some 59 BPM music and just cast BV every 4 beats. /s.
Please let me know what you think in the comments below! I know this build doesn’t quite have the same DPS as some other builds using BV and Archmage, but it makes up for it in getting the most out of its mana bar, and I think that that is an achievement in and of itself. I look forwards to hearing how you guys find playing it!

What Fevered Mind Does for This Build

Fevered Mind is a jewel that was recently nerfed (likely in response to the release of Archmage Support) to grant 20-30% spell damage and 50% increased mana cost of spells, from 100%. What Fevered Mind effectively does is reduce the total maximum mana required to spend enough mana with a single cast of Blade Vortex; for instance, since we need to spend between roughly 1200 and 1400 mana to trigger our Indigon 6 times and hit close to max mana efficiency, if our maximum mana is too low, then ~21% of our mana bar won't spend enough mana. Fevered Mind means instead our first cast spends 30% of our mana bar with one jewel, so we can have much less maximum mana and still spend between 1200-1400 mana per cast.
This opens the door to even more 'budget' versions of the build, or versions that scale spell damage in other ways, but it also reduces the power of Archmage Support (since our total mana costs have decreased with our maximum mana pool). In addition, even more ugly math rears its head, but one can generalise it to say each Fevered Mind you use reduces the number of Indigon Triggers you need to maximise your mana cost by 1 (the 50% on the jewel replaces one trigger of 60% on the helmet), and thus each one drastically reduces the maximum mana required (1 Fevered Mind Jewel hits peak efficiency with a Blade Vortex at ~3600 total mana and 1155 mana cost, and 2 Fevered Minds push the total mana you need down to ~2200, at significant impact to the damage supplied by Archmage Support.

ShadeofSpace 님이 2020. 6. 17. 오후 5:49:28에 마지막으로 편집
마지막 추천 2020. 5. 23. 오후 11:55:09
Reserved for FAQ, thanks!
Feel free to also add any feedback about the guide format; this is my first one, so any and all is appreciated!
ShadeofSpace 님이 2020. 5. 23. 오후 11:58:27에 마지막으로 편집

게시판 글 신고

신고 계정:

신고 유형

추가 정보